From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Lizette Koehler
Sent: 24 November, 2014 15:54
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Page Data Set Sizes and Volume Types

If I understand.  I can use the larger volumes but I should allocate my Local
Page Datasets in MOD3 or MOD9 sizes.  So one Mod27 could have for one LPAR 3
MOD9 Size Page or 9 MOD3 size Pages.  And I should not mix LPAR1 and
LPAR2 Page Datasets on the same MOD27.

Is that correct?

Lizette

another
> paging problem: performance.  When ASM needs to do a (mass) page out,
> you
can
> help ASM by providing as many parallel paths as possible, so 20 will
> page
out faster
> than 2.
>
> Kees.

the number
> of slots, but I think MXG can help with that.
>
> I also was trying to determine if I can swap out 20 Mod3s for 2 Mod27s
> and
not
> have to create little datasets on the Mod54.
>
> I have a sandbox and I will be attempting to arrange some validations
> of
my
> assumptions.
>
> Lizette

Sets.

> > I was wondering if there are any guidelines on what can be used today.
> This should
> > be kept to z/OS V1.12, 1.13 and 2.1 which I think will be the more
> dominant
> > operating systems in use right now.
> >
> > I know that the number of Slots will drive what I allocate. So I am
> looking for the
> > following information.  I have not done this in many years so I am
> > very
> rusty.
> >
> > 1) How to calculate the number of slots per page datasets
> >     a)  I need to base this on 3390 Mod 3/9/27/54
> > 2) What do I need to stay away from when determining where the page
> datasets go
> >     a) For example, if I use a Mod27 and I need to place multiple page
> datasets
> > on the volume
> >             Should they all be for the same LPAR if in a PLEX
> >             Should they all be for unique LPARs if in a Plex
> > 3) What are the maximum values I can create a page dataset?
> >     Can I use a whole Mod3/9/27/54 for ONE page dataset?
> >
> > I have looked through Hot Flashes (Cheryl Watson) and MXG sourclib.
> have run
> > through some of the Redbooks and share presentations.
> >
> > I am now looking for real life thoughts.  I also thought this would
> > be a
> good topic for
> > the archives.
> >
> > Thanks for any information