> many OSes have terminal commands that
> take an object name as an argument and launch the "associated"
> application.  For example, a browser for a URL; a file manager for
> a directory; or an editor for a text file.

SimpList works like that. A single line of code (such as in a user written REXX
dialog) can call the SimpList API and pass it one or more arguments. The
arguments usually consist of a function to perform and an object to perform the
function against. This might mean the SimpList API is called to browse a data
set or edit a DB2 table or view a web site or print a Unix file (etc.).
Depending on what SimpList was called to do, it automatically launches the
associated application. For example, if SimpList was passed an URL it would use
the ISPF Workstation Agent to open a browser and display the web page.

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!

http://www.mackinney.com/products/program-development/simplist.html