On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Tom Brennan <t...@tombrennansoftware.com>
wrote:

> Windows "start" - but most likely a Windows terminal emulator would use
> the ShellExecute function to start an external browser session.
>
> About 6 months ago I was working on compiling Info-Zip (c source code).
> Wiki claims it is "The Third Most Portable Program in the World", so you
> can imagine all the #ifdef's in that code.  Very difficult to work with.

​I wonder what the first two are. I was able to port SQLite 3 to z/OS with
_NO_ source changes at all. I just had to figure out the correct
./configure and do the "make". BASH took more effort. The majority was
getting the embedded GNU readline to work on z/OS properly and a few
"ASCII-isms" where the code was dependent on the ASCII binary code points.
I used #if statements to separate out the required z/OS changes which were
Linux incompatible. But I can't say that it was really _difficult_. Other
than due to my own ignorance on how BASH works internally and of advanced C
constructs.

> Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>
>> OS X    "open"
>> Solaris "gnome-open"
>> Linux   "xdg-open"
>> Cygwin  "cygstart"
>> Windows ?
>>
>> A dismaying lack of portability.  One might imagina a chain of
>> #ifdefs ...

The temperature of the aqueous content of an unremittingly ogled
culinary vessel will not achieve 100 degrees on the Celsius scale.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown