>From looking at the old iealg510 manual, it really would need a lot of
work to make it more accurate.  It should mention all system data sets
that have special requirements - e.g., must be cataloged in Master
Catalog, must be on the SYSRES or the IPL volume, must be PDS not PDSE,
 must exist but is not a an SMP/E target library, must have a specific
name (even if only by default), and data sets that must have some
minimal installation customization just to get a system up.

To me, that ought to include (which manual IEA1G510 does not) at least a
terse explanation of Page Data Sets, which are neither required to be
SYS1 or on a specific volume, and perhaps should not include (which
IEA1G510 does) the various *CLI0, *SKEL0, *MSG0, *PNL0, *PENU, *TBL0,
*TENU, etc. data sets required for specific ISPF applications (and which
do not really have any special requirements).  True, you must have the
SCBD* ISPF application data sets to do hardware configuration, and SBLS*
data sets to diagnose system failures. but are they worthy of any
greater "honor" than the SMPE target data sets required to make ISPF
itself functional?

Just a quick spot check of the description of SYS1.BRODCAST reveals it
hasn't been updated to reflect the use of User Logs as an alternative to
SYS1.BRODCAST for TSO user messages, a feature that has been available
for some years.  That makes me suspect other topics in IEA1G510 may be
similarly in need of revision and perhaps the magnitude of that task is
why the manual was dropped.

Perhaps all of the information in IEA1G510 is now available somewhere
else in bits and pieces, but it was nice to have it all collected in one
place as an overview.  If not in a separate manual, perhaps this might
be a candidate for a long topic or appendix in something like the "z/OS
Basics" manual or some volume of "ABCs of z/OS System Programming".
There is (or at least used to be) a very short topic in "ABCs of z/OS
System Programming, Vol 2" on "System Data Sets", but it seems to me
incomplete (see above) and only mentions data set names, not their
purpose or any unique requirements that must be observed.
        Joel C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org