> SMF and console messages to record logon/authentication failures.
> These could be intercepted in real time to alert someone of unusual probing
> while it is occurring

Yup! Come to either of my sessions at SHARE to learn about how to do that
(albeit with one of several commercial products).

Unfortunately I know of no way to intercept in real time the invalid userid at
its initial usage and possible "validation" as opposed to when it is actually
used for a logon with password.

Charles