Check out $TBUFDEF to increase value of EXTBUF. $DBUFDEF will show your current
value which should be 49.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Phil Smith
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 11:10 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Full z/OS SPOOL

We have an open-source STC which, if not shut down cleanly, has a tendency to
fill SPOOL. Obviously we need to hunt down the problem and kill it. In the
meantime, when it happens, and our system gets IPLed (second-level guest, at
IBM Dallas), we wind up unable to logon. Starting the guest gets:

*$HASP050 JES2 RESOURCE SHORTAGE OF BUFX - 100% UTILIZATION REACHED
          A TOTAL OF 49 BUFX ARE CURRENTLY DEFINED, OF WHICH:
             49 (100%) ARE IN USE
             40 (81%) ARE BEING WAITED FOR
             0 PROCESSORS REQUESTED BUFX BUT DID NOT WAIT
             THE LARGEST UNFULFILLED REQUEST WAS FOR 0 BUFX
          A MINIMUM OF 89 BUFX IS REQUIRED TO SATISFY CURRENT DEMAND

Issuing commands like VINPUT VMSG $POJOBQ,ALL,PROTECTED,DAYS>0 seems to purge a
bunch of stuff (we get messages that suggest this is true, and repeating the
command gets "HASP003 RC=(52),PO JOBQ  - NO SELECTABLE ENTRIES FOUND MATCHING")
but doesn't seem to actually help.

So...from a SECUSERed VM logon, how can we clear SPOOL? A cold start would
suffice, although of course knowing how to do so without a cold start would be
even better (for those times when it's full but not yet down).

Thanks.

And yes, I've Googled and Googled 'til my Googler is sore; there must be
something I haven't thought of before... (with apologies to Mr. Geisel)

...phsiii