Barbara Nitz wrote:

>Welcome to the wonderful world of ADCD systems! (Which is what I understand
>Dallas is using.) ADCD systems come with a teeny tiny spool, and most parms in
>the init deck are set so low that it just functions on a lowly loaded system.
>After the second or third real 100% spool shortage I substantially increased
>not only spool and related parms, I also had to go through checkpoint reconfig
>to accomodate the larger spool values.

Ok. I must have missed it somewhere that the OP is perhaps using ADCD, but he
said he is using VM to access his JES2? So, can you run ADCD as a guest under
VM?

About those low, very ultra low values, yes, I also experienced that on JES2,
low TSO logons space, small RACF db, small VTAM and TCP/IP settings, etc.
Annoying of course.

The small spool size and the parameters have indeed in the past a negative
impact on my SMP/E Team where they XMIT (slowwwwww!) large datasets (DFDSS
dumps) to a small LPAR causing lockup of JES2 and that LPAR just froze to a
standstill.

Thats where I showed them how to do a FTP to avoid using a temp space on JES2
spool.

Whenever a spool is getting full quickly, I'm always thinking about a runaway
train. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_Train_%28film%29   [1]

>And ever since, I keep an eagle eye on any HASP050* message. And on spool
>usage.

Automation is your friend (just careful not to purge sensitive jobs...). ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

[1] - %28 is ( and %29 is ).