On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 13:28:02 -0500, Farley, Peter x23353
<peter.far...@broadridge.com> wrote:

>Has the promised update to COBOL V5 to support XMLPARS(COMPAT) been made
>available yet?  According to presentations that Tom Ross authored last year it
>was promised sometime around third quarter 2014, but I have seen no official
>announcement yet.
>
>TIA for any help you can provide.
>
>Peter

According to the announcement letter for Enterprise COBOL V5.2:

Restored options

XMLPARSE(COMPAT)

The XMLPARSE option allows COBOL programmers to indicate which XML PARSE is
used. For ease of migration, XMLPARSE(COMPAT) provides compatibility with the
Enterprise COBOL V3 parser.

XMLPARSE selects the parser to be used for XML processing in your program.

XMLPARSE(XMLSS) option indicates use of the z/OS XML System Service parser with
the following XML parsing capabilities:
Validation of XML input documents against an XML schema (VALIDATING)
Enhanced namespace processing (special registers XML-NAMESPACE, XML-NNAMESPACE,
XML-NAMESPACE-PREFIX, and XML-NNAMESPACE-PREFIX)
Automatic conversion of document fragments to Unicode UTF-16 (RETURNING
NATIONAL)
Specification of the encoding of the input document (ENCODING)
Direct parsing of XML documents, a buffer of XML at a time
Parsing of XML documents, a buffer of XML at a time
Offloading of XML parsing to System z® Application Assist Processors (zAAPs)

XMLPARSE(COMPAT) option indicates use of the XML parser that is a built-in
component of the COBOL runtime.
XML PARSE statement results and operational behaviors are then compatible with
those obtained with Enterprise COBOL Version 3, but advanced features of XMLSS
are not available.
COBOL programmers can migrate programs with XML PARSE statements from V3 to V4
without having to change their source code.

XMLPARSE(COMPAT) is also available in the previous release through the
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS, V5.1.1 PTF (APAR PI22094).

--
Dale R. Smith