From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Charles Mills
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 3:01 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Delete all members from PDS with symbolic in name?

I'm trying to do the following and I know it does not work because IDCAMS says
IDC2559I MEMBER CAN NOT BE SPECIFIED WITH A GENERIC NAME

But is there a way to do something like this, without restricting the job to
V2R1 and symbols in SYSIN? I want to delete all members of a PDS where the PDS
is named with a JCL symbol:

//DELETMEM EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD   SYSOUT=*
//OUTLOAD  DD   DISP=(OLD,KEEP),DSN=FOO.&FMID..LOAD
//SYSIN    DD   *
 DELETE FOO.*.LOAD(*) NONVSAM FILE(OUTLOAD)
/*

I suppose I could do something with IEFBR14 and allocate a new dataset with a
temporary name in one step and then delete the old dataset and rename the new
one in the next step. Is there something easier?

Thanks,

Charles