At 11:59 -0600 on 02/23/2015, Paul Gilmartin wrote about Re: O/T What ŒThe Imitation Game¹ didn¹t tell you abo:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:14:44 -0600, Joel Ewing wrote:

In the original Email that I received from Ed the Email source text (as
opposed to the way my Email client renders it) shows the presence of a
hex-encoded blank (= 2 0) followed by a CR at about the 70-character

GIYF:
    Character-set: USASCII; Format-flowed

This is certainly a confusing inconsistency in Thunderbird if not an
out-right bug (depends on whether this way of wrapping long character
strings is actually an approved Email standard).

RFC 822 requires support for up to 999.

Format-flowed says that long lines are split with each line ending in =20CR. Each split line should be no longer than 80 characters (including the =20CR). Your input meets this format.

The =20CR is removed and the next line is concatenated until a line does NOT end with =20CR. At that point you have the original long input line. This requires that the receiving MUA support Format-flowed however.

 Apparently some other
 >Email clients do interpret it in a way that preserves the link. On the
other hand there are certainly Email clients that send long URLs without
using this formatting convention, as I frequently receive long URLs in
Emails (including the reformatted version of this URL from Paul) that
work fine with Thunderbird.

See my prior message. The URL was malformed since it was not included in angle brackets. URLs without angle brackets are part of the text and are not indicated as URLs - Thus may not be spotted for special treatment. Note that such text URLs MAY be correctly handled anyway but you are playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets if you do not bracket your URLs.

-- gil