On 3/20/2015 1:10 PM, Thomas Conley wrote:
On 3/20/2015 9:13 AM, Karl Henn wrote:
Hello,

The description of the following "problem" (if you prefer to call it such)
sounds a little unusual, and the sample JCL looks - and is! - trivial. I still
kindly ask the world to please read it, and maybe try it out. My primary goal
is to make sure that I'm not simply just out of my mind.

Ever since we're running z/OS V2R1, complaints about alleged problems with
PDSEs were forwarded to me, sporadically. The error descriptions were fairly
fuzzy, ranging from intermittent S0F4-20 RSN 1C0752EE ABENDs, problems with
empty members, as well as incomplete copies of PDSEs with IEBCOPY CC 00. Since
none of the problems were really consistently reproducible, I kind of just
brushed away the issue for a while.

The S0F4 ABENDs I could not ignore, though. The complaints didn’t stop,
either. So, in order to narrow down a possible problem, I started
experimenting - yielding a surprising result.

Please take a look at the following JCL. Don’t laugh, but as simple as it may
look, it *sometimes* does not work.

Wait, you're saying PDSE's are unreliable?  Not possible.

The next thing you know, somebody will be trying to tell us that PDSEs don't perform superbly and scale well.

Bob