On 20 May 2015 at 15:32, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
<shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:

>>I always thought of Latin 1 as ISO8859-1
>
> It is, but Don presumably meant that IBM-1047 was the EBCDIC
> equivalent to ISO-8859-1.

Apples and oranges. Latin-1 is what IBM calls a Character Set, and ISO
et al call a Character Repertoire. IBM calls this character set CS
697.

ISO8859-1 is a Code Page that implements Latin-1, i.e. maps the
characters in Latin-1 to byte values.

[That "-1" is in both names is coincidental; for instance ISO Latin-9
is implemented by ISO8859-15 (and is also implemented by a number of
IBM code pages. such as 1140 and 924).]

IBM-1047 is one of a dozen or so IBM code pages that also implement
Latin-1, but with different mappings than ISO8859-1.

Tony H.