In
<cc42e2f56d60f24fb8a6bcc639d1d96331ad0...@samtcasxmb46.usa.dce.usps.gov>,
on 05/15/2015
   at 06:54 PM, "Hansen, Dave L - Eagan, MN" <dave.l.han...@usps.gov>
said:

>My Square Brackets disappeared and my Java won't compile.

What code points get sent? What is your ISPF terminal type? What
compiler and options are you using?

>"C is another problem child.

It may be an obsolte, ugly and unsafe language, but the fault here
does not lie with C.

>It uses funky characters

No. The funkiness resides in IBM assigning them to different code
points in different EBCDIC code pages.

>like the square brackets '[]',

Bog standard ASCII, and languages older than EBCDIC use them.

>curly brackets '{}'

Bog standard ASCII

>and broken vertical bar '|'.

Bog standard ASCII

>These move around (or disappear) depending on your code page.

Aha! So it's the EBCDIC code pages, not C.

>But with C there's another catch: it's designed to use EBCDIC 1047,
>not EBCDIC 0037."

No; it's not designed to use either. Don't confuse the compiler with
the language.