z/OS 1.5 introduced extent consolidation.   The following is from z/OS DFSMS
Using Data Sets SC23-6855-00:

VSAM Extent Consolidation

 The system consolidates adjacent extents for VSAM data sets when extending on
the same volume. VSAM extent consolidation is automatic and requires no action
on your part. If the extents are adjacent, the new extent is incorporated into
the previous extent.

Example: The old extent begins on cylinder 6, track 0, and ends on cylinder 9,
track 14, and the new extent begins on cylinder 10, track 0, and ends on
cylinder 12, track 14. The two extents are combined into one extent beginning
on cylinder 6, track 0, and ending on cylinder 12, track 14. Instead of two
extents, there is only one extent. Because VSAM combines the two extents, it
does not increment the extent count, which reduces the amount of extents.

HTH,
Greg Shirey
Ben E. Keith Company