From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Thomas Conley
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 9:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Share IODF in different sysplex same CPC

On 6/11/2015 11:34 AM, Jorge Garcia wrote:
> Hello John and Mary:
>
>   Our requirements are (if it's possible). Updates in one and only IODF and
> then transmit it to another systems. With this option we avoid updates in two
> o more IODF and we save the IODF integrity.
> The share user catalog option is the fast and easy way for dynamic activation
> in all systems, but It's dangerous if you aren't careful.
>
> This should be the GRSRNLxx configuration with this option:
>
> RNLDEF RNL(EXCL) TYPE(GENERIC) QNAME(SYSDSN) RNAME(hlq iodf) RNLDEF
> RNL(EXCL)  TYPE(GENERIC)  QNAME(SYSZVVDS) RNAME(SD) RNLDEF RNL(EXCL)
> TYPE(GENERIC)  QNAME(SYSVTOC) RNAME(volser catalog device) RNLDEF RNL(EXCL)
> TYPE(SPECIFIC) QNAME(SYSIGGV2)
>         RNAME('iodf user catalog                     ')
> RNLDEF RNL(EXCL) TYPE(PATTERN) QNAME(SYSIGGV2)
> RNAME('????????????????????????????????????????????iodf user catalog
>            ')
>

> The IODF SYS1 option and Mary option I think that it's the same. With the
> Mary option you avoid DEFINE and REPRO executions. The transmit and receive
> option is faster. Mary I understand that you have cataloged the same iodf HLQ
> in differerents user catalogs in different systems? With the same HLQ like
> IOCDS you should execute a right dynamic activacion, Is It true?

Jorge,

This is dangerous and unnecessary.  You can catalog the IODF on each separate
system in the master catalog, or a user catalog shared among systems IN THE
SAME SYSPLEX.  You shouldn't be sharing a user catalog cross-sysplex.

I used to propagate IODF's with DFDSS DUMP, FTP, RESTORE, but that failed once
after working for over a year.  So now I use the HCD EXPORT and IMPORT
functions, which while slower, is guaranteed to work.

Regards,
Tom Conley