<snip>
I said it's best to use same-size DS & have usage of under 30% (each DS), but
it was rejected as old-recommendation.
</snip>

This is/was AFAIK, the current recommendation.
As to whether the "small" page ds is  problem, the answer is "it depends".

Perhaps the people in charge are unaware that this change(resize/drop the
"small" page ds)  can be performed dynamically with no observable impact to the
running system.

HTH,

<snip>
A site uses different size local page DS.
say most are 200K TRK , but 1 is 10K TRK.
normal :      15%                 70%  used
problem:     60-70%              95%

I said it's best to use same-size DS & have usage of under 30% (each DS), but
it was rejected as old-recommendation.

Sometimes they get IRA205I.

MSG actually says:
... When utilization exceeds 30%, the slot allocation algorithms become less
efficient, and may degrade I/O performance.

Is this ROT still apply:
 same size local PAGE DS
 < 30% used
</snip>