On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 11:35:40 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:

>On 21 July 2015 at 02:13, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
>> OK, I forgot that the Usenet gateway doesn't work anymore.
>
>"Imminent death of the net predicted!"
>
>> I am wondering what software one needs for a 3705 to connect up ordinary
>> ASCII terminals.

telnet readily connects to TSO and to CMS.  But what do you do when you get
there?

Hmmm...  VM doesn't mask my password; z/OS masks.  What a concept!

>> For example, what would be needed to use TSO or Wylbur on
>> ASCII terminals?  I know this is what was done 35 years
>> ago, but I don't know now who knows how to do it.
>
>That's a very different question. ...

Indeed.  TSO, fine for commands such as LISTALC and TIME.

>Well lots of nostalgia, but what are you really trying to accomplish here?

And why not TELNET?  Security concerns?  What about ssh?

Last I remember, decades ago, a colleague was using a serial connection
to download to perf tape.

-- gil