>"*The Department of Defense even decreed that all businesses must run on COBOL
>in the 1960s.*"
>A ludicrous assertion.

Actually not ludicrous.  This occurred when I was in the military (1973) and
was definitely an objective.  The goal was that all applications would be
written in COBOL.  The only exceptions were programs that couldn't achieve
their function.

As a result, I was responsible for writing a number of access method interfaces
[because we used a customized BDAM type of structure] so that COBOL programs
could call these routines to read/write records.

Definitely true.

Adam