> Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote

> apl\360 would allocate new storage for every assignment statement,
> quickly using every available location in workspace ... and then it would
> collect
> everything in contiguous storage (garbage collect) and then start all over
> again..
> This wasn't too bad with apl\360 typically 16kbyte (sometimes 32kbyte)
>  workspaces there were swapped as integral unit. the initial port of apl\360
> cp67/cms for cms\apl was something of a problem because it allowed
> workspaces that were the size of virtual memory ... and strategy would quickly
> result in page thrashing (repeatedly touching every virtual page regardless
> of actual program&data size).

One that I have always wondered about, PL/I (F) at the end of a compile run,
tells how much memory it used out of the total available.  Does it find out
how much is available without paging in all those pages?

Seems to be something that MVT would not notice, but could be very
Important on VS systems.

-- glen