shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> I'm editing the wikipedia article on Count Key Data, and I've run into
> an editorial dispute. I claim that what is now ECKD was part of the
> SMB, and the other editor claims that you could run 3380 on a slow
> channel without using, e.g., Define Extent. Does anybody have a
> document outlining what IBM included in the term SMB?: Thanks.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015f.html#86 Formal definituion of Speed Matching
Buffer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015f.html#88 Formal definituion of Speed Matching
Buffer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015f.html#89 Formal definituion of Speed Matching
Buffer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015g.html#4 3380 was actually FBA?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015g.html#6 3380 was actually FBA?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015g.html#9 3380 was actually FBA?

need to have calypso (SMB) installed to attach to channel
slower than device ... however it is possible to do channel
programs w/o using ECKD CCWs

GA26-1661-9 3880 Storage Control Description ... from bitsavers

4-23 Define Extent (also 4-26 Locate Record)

Note: This command is valid only when the speed matching buffer for the
3375 or 3380 feature is installed.

... snip ...

4-111 describes how speed matching buffer uses the define extent &
locate record to calculate when to connect to channel ahead of time on
write operation.

5-17 I/O Operation for Speed Matching Buffer

The speed matching buffer for the 3375 feature and the speed matching
buffer for the 3380 feature (Models AA4, A04, and B04 only) will
correctly execute standard command chains when connected to channels
slower than the 3375 or the 3380. However, a performance reduction on
write operations (described below) will occur.

... snip ...