Additionally, you cannot manually start stop the actual address space yourself.
 Here are the notes I have for starting and stopping NFS client:

Stop NFS client#
The z/OS NFS client is started when the z/OS UNIX file system is initialized
and is persistent until z/OS UNIX is stopped. To stop the z/OS NFS client
gracefully the system operator can use the modify operator command omvs,stoppfs
specifying the NFS client, as follows:

F OMVS,STOPPFS=NFS
You will respond to the "xx BPXI078D STOP OF NFS REQUESTED. REPLY 'Y' TO
PROCEED. ANY OTHER REPLY WILL CANCEL THIS STOP." which shuts down the NFS
client.

Restart #
We use a SYS1.PARMLIB(BPXPRMNF) that can be used to restart the NFS client if
it is stopped.

SETOMVS RESET=(NF)

Which contains

EDIT       SYS1.PARMLIB(BPXPRMNF) - 01.00                          Columns 0
Command ===>                                                          Scroll
****** ********************************* Top of Data ***********************
000001 /*******************************************************************/
000002 /*                                                                 */
000003 /*   NFS Client                                                    */
000004 /*        use SETOMVS RESET=(NF)  to restart totally dead client   */
000005 /*******************************************************************/
000006 FILESYSTYPE TYPE(NFS)            /* Network Files System           */
000007             ENTRYPOINT(GFSCINIT) /* Entrypoint for NFS Client      */
000008          /* PARM('')            defaults PARM for NFS Client       */
000009             ASNAME(MVSNFSC,'SUB=MSTR')
000010                                  /* Auto-started PROC  *REQ*       */
000011                                  /*                                */

Dave Jousma
Assistant Vice President, Mainframe Engineering
david.jou...@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MIĀ  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717