On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Tom Brennan <t...@tombrennansoftware.com>
wrote:

> Jack J. Woehr wrote:
>
>> Have you looked at the price of RedHat stock lately? There's plenty of
>> money in free: you charge for support!
>>

> I certainly agree!  But I'm not sure it's related (unless that's the point
> I'm missing).  So let's say you give me source code (free speech) and I
> compile it and use it (free beer), without needing your help because you
> wrote it so well.  Didn't I just get beer for free?

​Sure. But most _companies_ won't really depend on 3rd party source to be
maintained in-house. They, generally, want company-specific programs to be
designed, written, an​d maintained in house. But things like compilers,
operating system, data base management system, and such, they generally
want a legal contract, with penalties, from an industry reputable company,
such a RedHat (for Linux + major software), or even EnterpriseDB (advanced
PostgreSQL). The management here, as best as I can tell, has decided (as
they have said it) "We are not in the IT business". So they are "cloud
sourcing" the entire infrastructure, starting with z/OS. Actually, the z/OS
processes are being converted to some other platform (Windows, I think) as
a SaaS (as I understand it). Eventually I think that the company itself
will only have some application designers as full time employees. The
hardware and non-application software will all be handled by some other 3rd
party. We don't have any DBAs any more. Another company does all the
"technical data base stuff" for us.

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown