An IBMer gave me this process, works great moving USS stuff around.

Adjust to your needs.

Write it

//         SET PAX1='sh cd /tmp; pax -wvf'
//         SET PAX2='./*.*'
//MAKEIT   EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//OUTMVS   DD DSN=CICS.BKUP,
//         DISP=(MOD,KEEP,KEEP),
//         RECFM=U,BLKSIZE=32760,
//         SPACE=(CYL,(100)),
//         UNIT=3390
//S3      EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,
//             REGION=0M,
//             PARM='&PAX1 //\''CICS.BKUP\'' &PAX2'

(xmit/ftp it)

Read it

//         SET PAX1='sh cd /u/play; pax -rvf'
//         SET PAX2='./test.txt'
//S3      EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,
//             REGION=0M,
//             PARM='&PAX1 //\''CICS.BKUP\'' &PAX2'
//STDOUT   DD  SYSOUT=*
//STDERR   DD  SYSOUT=*