Thanks, Jerry.
    I confirmed valid gateway / default route is good.  I also checked in
Network Diag and confirmed that I could successfully Ping my PC from the
HMC, so I think those parts appear to be working correctly.
    Customize Console Services>Remote Operation is enabled
I could not find any place in HMC for SLL Settings (I am on v2.10.1)

     On a hunch I enabled SSL2 & SSL3 in my IE browser, and got to the HMC
"front page".  I installed our cert on my PC, and I think I am past the
initial problem.  Now I have to recycle my browser/PC and see if I am
totally connected now.  MANY THANKS,