From: Smith III, Phil (HP Data Security (Voltage))
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2015 17:52
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: CC usage in Germany (Europe) [WAS: Were you at SHARE in Seattle?
Watch your credit card statements!]

R.S. wrote:
>I don't understand. Is it a problem with your card/bank or rather small shops
>in the Forest do not have card terminal?
I suspect this is limitation of your card. I saw such cards.

>BTW: US is last country where my card were imprinted (embossed), it is
>probably also last place on Earth where signature is needed instead of PIN.
> (obviously my experience is limited, I haven't visited all the countries on
> Earth)

I believe the point here was that if you do NOT have a Chip&PIN card, you may
find yourself in a situation where you cannot perform a needed transaction
because the terminals don’t have magstripe readers. This is well-documented:
unattended gas pumps, ticket kiosks, etc. Less common in cities, more common
outside them.