tony.j.new...@btinternet.com writes:
> This happend to us, 3380 continued to write x'00' over VM byte
> allocation map on cyl 0.

Original CMS filesystem from the mid-60s almost had a fix for this
... updated filesysem control information was written to new locations
... and then the MFD was rewritten pointing to the new version of
control information rather than old version. It worked for all writes
except for the MFD. The new CMS "EDF" filesystem in the 2nd half of the
70s went to a pair of MFDs. There was the current MFD and a write would
always be to the alternate MFD ... if completely corectly, the alternate
becomes the (new) current and the (old) current becomes the alternate.

A version number goes at the end of (EDF) MFD, on startup/recovery, both
MFD is read and the most recent one is used ... a power failure,
trailing zeros write would always result in that record appearing as
older than the other MFD.

In early 80s, I did a CP kernel filesystem ... including spool file
system that addressed the problem for CP also. My motivation was that I
had HSDT project and I needed VM370 spool file system that ran much
faster for RSCS driving multiple T1 (& faster) links (standard spool
file system typically got 5-32kbytes/sec ... I needed 3mbytes or better
throughput. some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#hsdt

I did the implementation in vs/pascal running in virtual address space
but still managed to significant improvement over the standard
implementation done as part of vm370 kernel in assembler.

At one point, I thought I finally had a path to getting it picked up
through the corporate network backbone which nodes were moving to
multiple 56kbit links. However, this was about the time the
communication group was putting intense pressure on the corporate nework
to move to SNA ... technical people started being excluded from the
backbone meetings ... so they could focus on the pressure being applied
to move to SNA.

However, by that time I also was doing the throughput enhancements to
mainframe TCP/IP product (also implemented in vs/pascal). At the time,
the standard product got about 44kbytes/sec using nearly full 3090
processor. In some tuning tests of the "fixes" at Cray Research between
Cray and 4341 ... got channel speed throughput using only modest
amount of the 4341 processor (possibly 500 times improvement in
bytes moved per instruction executed). some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#1044

old email reference to communication group forcing internal
network to move to SNA:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email870302
and
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011.html#email870306

other trivia ... I had also done a paged-mapped CMS filesystem
originallyh for CP67 ... and then later moved to VM370. In the early 80s
(on 3380 drives), side-by-side comparison of moderate i/o intensive
workload ... it would get three times the througput of standard CMS
filesystem. some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#mmap

old post with some (mmap) benchmark measurements from the 1st half of
the 80s ... included in '86 SEAS presentation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006.html#25 DCSS as SWAP disk for z/Linux
and repeated in hillgang meeting
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011c.html#88 Hillgang -- VM Performance