In general, you have to rely on a hex dump of a few of the user SMF records,
to look for obvious fields and contents, and ask your SYSPROGs/DBAs etc,
what products are installed.
Sometimes there is a SUBSYSTEM ID that identifies the creator in bytes 15-18.
You can identify lots of EBCDIC text fields by content and length, like the
JOB, USERID, JCTJOBID, 44-byte DSNAMES, RACFGRUP names, the SMFSTAMP and
TODSTAMP datetime fields, and along with asking what products are installed,
you can often identify the creator and find the SYSPROG who chose that SMF
record type to confirm!

But often the final identification requires visual examination
of the record's hex dump, and to count the recognizable elements
(e.g., 2 DSNAMEs, 3 TODSTAMP, 2 SMFSTAMP, JOB JCTJOBID), and then
examine a possible product's source member in MXG to count those
same elements in the SAS INPUT statements to find a match, and
then confirm by comparing field-by-field visually, or just
by using that MXG code member to read the record.

MXG has only 260 user SMF record members to examine.

Barry

Herbert W. “Barry” Merrill, PhD
President-Programmer
MXG Software
Merrill Consultants
10717 Cromwell Drive
Dallas, TX 75229-5112
ba...@mxg.com
Fax:  214 350 3694 – Still works, received as email
Tel:  214 351 1966 – Unreliable, please use email

www.mxg.com        HomePage: FAQ answers most questions
ad...@mxg.com      License Forms, Invoice, Payment, ftp information
supp...@mxg.com    Technical Issues
MXG-L FREE ListServer  http://www.mxg.com/mxg-l_listserver/