I agree, unsafe. But I could probably argue that just letting a system programmer logon is unsafe :) I had various checks to try to prevent the hooks from causing issues, including (if I remember correctly) using the LRA instruction to check for a valid address in ECSA prior to access. I didn't want to cause an 0C4 in someone's SVC 8 just because I messed up.

Over the 4 years or so the hooks were in place I was kind of proud they had never caused problems or crashed a system. And they had to co-exist with various vendor product hooks on the same SVC's. That work gave me a good look at what the poor vendors have to go through when no better interface exists.

Leonardo Vaz wrote:
More difficult indeed, but at least it is now a documented programming
interface, which is a huge jump from having to play around with arguably unsafe
hooks :)