On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:40 AM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>
wrote:

> John McKown wrote:
> >What "bothers" me is the lack of JSON PARSE to go with the JSON GENERATE.
>
> That announcement letter didn't mention it (maybe it should have), but one
> year ago IBM shipped standard, high performance, high function, fully
> supported JSON parsing services in z/OS for all languages/runtimes,
> including for COBOL. Take a look at the z/OS Client Web Enablement Toolkit
> specifically. Steve Warren's SHARE session in 2015, Session #17791, and the
> IBM Knowledge Center for z/OS 2.2 are excellent sources of information.
>
> Have you taken a look at that toolkit yet? It looks like at least some of
> you missed it. [Maybe I'm falling down on the job. :-)] Yes, the z/OS
> Client Web Enablement Toolkit exploits zIIPs quite nicely. The z/OS Client
> Web Enablement Toolkit ships with z/OS Version 2.2 and can be added to z/OS
> 2.1 via the service stream. This parser is the JSON analog to the z/OS XML
> System Services. The z/OS Client Web Enablement Toolkit also includes
> HTTP/HTTPS support, but whether you use that HTTP/HTTPS support or not this
> toolkit is where you find z/OS's JSON parsing services.

​Thanks for the pointer to that. I'd never heard of it. But, IMO, it would
still be nice to have a JSON PARSE verb similar to the XML PARSE verb to
COBOL-ify the calls to the z/OS supplied service.​ <ducking> Ya, know,
COBOL programmers tend to be more parochial than the "more sophisticated"
PL/I and C programmers. So they need real COBOL verbs instead of a CALL
interface </ducking>.

--
The man has the intellect of a lobotomized turtle.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown