On 03/02/2016 12:50 AM, Jack J. Woehr wrote:
So I go and download the GZip for z/OS package, and it says use 'gzip' as the 1st step to install from the supplied '*.tar.gz' file.

If you have Gnu tar on the system, tar takes a gzip switch

tar zxvf myfile.tgz

Right, but 'tar' handles GZipped archives by running 'gzip' in a pipeline under the covers. (I say ... basing that on first hand experience with Gnu tar. If IBM or MKS added some built-in GZip capability to their implementation of 'tar' that would be handy.)

-- R; <><