On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 12:03:05 -0500, Rick Troth wrote:

>On 03/02/2016 12:50 AM, Jack J. Woehr wrote:
>>> So I go and download the GZip for z/OS package, and  it says use
>>> 'gzip' as the 1st step to install from the supplied '*.tar.gz' file.
>>
>> If you have Gnu tar on the system, tar takes a gzip switch
>>
>>    tar zxvf myfile.tgz
>
>Right, but 'tar' handles GZipped archives by running 'gzip' in a
>pipeline under the covers.
>(I say ... basing that on first hand experience with Gnu tar. If IBM or
>MKS added some built-in GZip capability to their implementation of 'tar'
>that would be handy.)

I'm calling Rocket remiss in providing a gzip that can't be bootstrapped
using only base z/OS facilities.  Hardly forgiven in that many desktop
systems (which Rocket may have used for packaging) provide uncompress
but not compress because of (expired) patent restrictions.  Even worse,
some provide gzip but misname it "compress".

Hmmm...  I believe gzip uses the Deflate algorithm and jar probably
embeds Deflate.  But I suppose the wrappers are incompatible.  In
extremis, Rocket could have zipped (or jarred) a .tar file and specified
jar followed by tar to extract.

Hmmm...  Is jar base z/OS, or separately ordered, or separately priced?

-- gil