I believe a path can be up to 1024.

-teD
  Original Message
From: Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 20:04
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: How long can a TSO command be?

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:38:27 -0500, Steve Thompson wrote:

>On 03/10/2016 04:26 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>> Got my Black Team coat on.

>It depends. You doing SUBMIT? You feeding your JCL to the INTRDR
>with JES2 or JES3?

I know that in JES2 only cols 1-72 of the source statement are processed.
73-80 are only listed; 81 and beyond vanish completely.
FTP enforces a limit of 254. I believe this is an obsolete JES3 limit.
SYSIN may be far longer; I've encountered no practical limit.
Symbol substitution and continuation may result in a statement
shorter or longer than the source. I'm idly curious (Black Team)
what limit exists on the source.

>Are you expecting your PARM= to be limited to 100 characters, or
>would you like it to be more than that (PARMDD in the JCL REF
>z/OS 2.1).

PARMDD is a kludge. They ought simply to have allowed a longer PARM.
If PARMDD allows substitution of system symbols, that should have been
supported likewise in EXEC PARM.

>And, off the top of my head, TSO has a limit of 256 characters.
>But I haven't needed to deal with that problem for a decade or so.

By experiment, ALLOCATE PATH supports longer, but I don't know how
much longer, nor whether any limit exists in the API, at the READY
prompt, or both.

-- gil