Are you talking about new data sets or existing ones?  What do you mean by
data sets being grouped?  What data class attributes would you like to be
dependent on the size of the data set.

The ALTER command cannot change the data class of an existing data set.
Even if it is possible with another utility, changing the data class would
have no effect on the other data set attributes stored in the catalog and
VVDS.  What would you hope to accomplish?

The data class ACS routine has access to the &SIZE and &MAXSIZE read-only
variables.  You can use them as part of the decision process for assigning a
data class to a new data set.  The management class and storage class ACS
routines would have access to this decision and could use that when making
their assignments.  But those routines would also have access to the
variables and could use them directly.

What is your real intent that you think different data classes will satisfy?