From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:11 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: any need?

I am wondering if anyone else thinks the idea below is useful and reasonable.

If a product needs to "trap" data normally written to SMF, in real time for
some reason (CA-7 external data set triggering comes to mind), the product must
install the three IEFU8{3,4,5} exits. Even if they're only interested in a few
of the records. The exit code must first examine the record number to see if it
is of interest (likely most are not), and if so, process it.
If you have multiple products doing this, it seems wasteful to me.

So I got to thinking (ouch! that hurts). It would be nice if there were a way
to register an interest in a particular SMF record number, or numbers, and have
"something" happen when a write occurs. The "something" could be invoke an exit
routine (like the IEFU8n exits above but already subsetted), or perhaps have
the registration API supply a buffer area into which to copy the SMF record and
an ECB address to post; or a routine to be invoked via a PC-ss of some sort
into the requester's address space; or a program to be run in the requester's
address space (perhaps as an SRB, perhaps as an IRB on the TCB which issued the
request). I would personally prefer an IRB be scheduled on the requesting TCB.
This would allow SVC 3 to clean up things automagically when the TCB ends.

I would guess that the requester would need to be APF authorized, or better,
have appropriate access to a RACF FACILITY or XFACILIT profile. I prefer the
RACF approach, personally.

Is this a solution looking for a problem? I.e. is there something that _you'd_
do with SMF in "real time" if such an API existed?

CA: I know that you do weird and wonderful things with the SMF router in z/OS,
perhaps you find this advantageous to make into a licensed (cost) feature of
CAS9.

--
How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? One to hold the
giraffe and one to fill the bathtub with brightly colored power tools.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown