I am wondering if anyone else thinks the idea below is useful and
reasonable.

If a product needs to "trap" data normally written to SMF, in real time for
some reason (CA-7 external data set triggering comes to mind), the product
must install the three IEFU8{3,4,5} exits. Even if they're only interested
in a few of the records. The exit code must first examine the record number
to see if it is of interest (likely most are not), and if so, process it.
If you have multiple products doing this, it seems wasteful to me.

So I got to thinking (ouch! that hurts). It would be nice if there were a
way to register an interest in a particular SMF record number, or numbers,
and have "something" happen when a write occurs. The "something" could be
invoke an exit routine (like the IEFU8n exits above but already subsetted),
or perhaps have the registration API supply a buffer area into which to
copy the SMF record and an ECB address to post; or a routine to be invoked
via a PC-ss of some sort into the requester's address space; or a program
to be run in the requester's address space (perhaps as an SRB, perhaps as
an IRB on the TCB which issued the request). I would personally prefer an
IRB be scheduled on the requesting TCB. This would allow SVC 3 to clean up
things automagically when the TCB ends.

I would guess that the requester would need to be APF authorized, or
better, have appropriate access to a RACF FACILITY or XFACILIT profile. I
prefer the RACF approach, personally.

Is this a solution looking for a problem? I.e. is there something that
_you'd_ do with SMF in "real time" if such an API existed?

CA: I know that you do weird and wonderful things with the SMF router in
z/OS, perhaps you find this advantageous to make into a licensed (cost)
feature of CAS9.

--
How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? One to hold the
giraffe and one to fill the bathtub with brightly colored power tools.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown