peter.far...@broadridge.com (Farley, Peter x23353) writes:
> IMHO part of what is vanishing mainframe clients is IBM's failure
> several decades back to continue to support universities with
> discounted hardware and software.  Lack of mainframe availability at
> university level has translated into current managements with no
> exposure and no desire to learn the advantages (TCO, security, etc.)
> of mainframes.  Not the whole reason, but a significant contributor.

The gov. legal action resulted in number of IBM responses ... 23jun1969
unbundling announcement that included starting to charge for
(application) software; it also saw IBM pull back from the enormous
grants and discounts it gave academic institutions... some past posts
http://manana.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle

IBM did come back in the early 80s with the academic business unit
(ACIS) ... it was putting several hundred million into universities (but
lots of it would go into non-mainframe technologies). IBM also sponsored
the university BITNET (where this ibm-main mailing list
originated). some past posts
http://manana.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#bitnet

it used technology similar to IBM internal network ... some
past posts (larger than arpanet/internet from just about
the beginning until sometime mid-80s)
http://manana.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

that originated at the IBM cambridge science center ... some
past posts
http://manana.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

this was non-SNA (and not communication group technology) ...  at about
the same time in the late 80s when the communication group was forcing
the internal network into moving to SNA ... BITNET moved to tcp/ip
(which would have been much better for internal network also, rather
than SNA).

I've told the story several times about senior disk engineer at late
80s, annual communication group world-wide internal conference. His talk
was supposedly on 3174 performance but he opened with the statement that
the communication group was going to be responsible for the demise of
the disk division. The issue was that the communication group had
strategic "ownership" of everything that cross the datacenter walls and
was fiercely fighting off client/server and distributed computing trying
to preserve their dumb terminal paradigm install base. The disk division
was seeing applications fleeing the datacenter to more distributed
computing friendly platforms with drop in disk sales. The disk division
had come up with a number of solutions to try and correct the situation,
but were constantly being vetoed by the communication group. some
past posts
http://manana.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#terminal

Somewhat as work-around to the communication group opposition, the disk
division VP of software was investing in open system and distributed
computing technology ... the POSIX support in MVS ... as well as
startups that built mainframe based distributed computing hardware and
software solutions.

trivia: the original mainframe tcp/ip product was implemented in
vs/pascal (which had none of the buffer length related exploits that
have been epidemic in C-language implementations) ... however for
various reasons it only got about 44kbytes/sec using full 3090
processor. I did the enhancements to support RFC1044 and in some tuning
tests at Cray Research between Cray and 4341, got sustained channel
speeed throughput using only a modest amount of 4341 processor
... possibly 500 times improvement in bytes moved per instruction
executed. some past posts
http://manana.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#1044