Am curious . This is what i could find looking at the enhancements . Since
you say STP doesn't steer the clock , i would like to know how this works
these days .

*http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/advantages/pso/stp/ntp.html
<http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/advantages/pso/stp/ntp.html>*

*Service Element (SE) Time Accuracy*
As a continuation of the zEnterprise 196 (z196) timing accuracy
improvements for an STP-only CTN, namely, SE/CPC hourly clock steer and
synch, the zEnterprise EC12 and zEnterprise BC12 have expanded these
enhancements by allowing the SE to access an STP panel-configured External
Time Source (ETS), even when the CPC is powered off or has not been IMLed.
The SE achieves this by invoking the ETS-configured NTP servers to obtain
the ETS-SE time difference and steers the SE clock towards the ETS clock.
During IML, the more accurate SE clock time transfers to the CPC clock,
maximizing the CPC timing accuracy.

This feature is available exclusively on zEnterprise EC12 and zEnterprise
BC12.

Thanks ,

Linda