We actually offer SCRT based pricing, but most of our older customers are licensed for "up to xxx MIPs" or "up to XXX MSUs". (MIPs or MSUs are based on total system size, not LPAR capping.)

We also use CPUIDs in our product key.

But, I recently had a customer greatly increase their MSUs by upgrading to a higher capacity setting within the same box. Our product key processing does not currently catch that. Many, many years ago, I asked the VSE developers about querying the capacity setting and was told it was not possible. Now that time has passed, I figured it should be possible.

Now that I know how it can be extracted via the STSI instruction, I can either extract it myself or ask IBM VSE where they stored the output from the STSI instruction.

Thanks for the help. Now, I need to go play with STSI.

Tony Thigpen