Caveat:  the daily digestion causes response delays...  I'm sure someone's
already suggested this very same...

Tony: I feel QVS is your route (if available on VSE) and matches, almost
exactly, what you need.  Even tho' it's listed in Auth'd Services, it has an
un-auth'd access method.  (Research req'd; I don't use it.)

From "Query a virtual server (QVS)" in "Authorized Assembler Services Reference
SET-WTO"
(http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieaa400/cqvs.htm),
 you might like this snippet: "Along with this SYSEVENT, there is also a C
interface, IWMQVS (located in SYS1.CSSLIB). ... The assembler mapping is
provided by the macro IRAQVS, and the C/C++ mapping is provided in IWMQVS.H
(located in SYS1.SIEAHDR.H). Before calling this service, the caller must ..."

As an aside, I feel you should be using QvsImgCapacity and not QvsCecCapacity
or QvsVmCapacity to allow someone with a *huge* machine to run your stuff
(technical term) in a crippled location.  We have had this problem with
Software AG for decades where they licence the machine's potential whether it
matches the capacity required for only their software. [1]  It's what
eventually led to the university deciding to drop z/OS & zSeries entirely.
(projected switch in November with decommissioning in a year)

[1]  We probably could have justified zBox as a big DB2 back-end if we could
have run the Software AG stuff in a capped LPar.  These daze, I guesstimate we
have >50% non-SAG DB2 work since our zIIP runs a steady 5-10% (ie. 30% of a
GPU) with 40-50% peaks.  Distributed DB2 could transfer the major work to a
non-capped LPar and keep the licence fees reasonable.  sorry, </rant>

-------->  signature = 8 lines follows  <--------
Neil Duffee, Joe Sysprog, uOttawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                  fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uOttawa.ca/ ~nduffee
“How *do* you plan for something like that?”  Guardian Bob, Reboot
“For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.”
“Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent”  John Norgauer 2004
"Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore
is attempted."  John McKown 2015