On 5/17/2016 10:55 AM, John Eells wrote:
So...suppose we were to do something like this*:

- Added support for both SHA-2 (SHA-256) and 2048-bit RSA certificates.**
- Put the package signing verification certificate where "anyone could
get it"
- Made the signing (certificate-based) check optional.
- Continued to keep the integrity checking optional, whether based on
SHA-2 or SHA-1.

Would that meet the set of needs we've been talking about?

* As usual, no promises.
** I think we have to keep the SHA-1 support because we create an
incompatibility if we don't.

John,

If you need to keep SHA-1 and it's being used, you should put out an appropriate warning message that SHA-1 is deprecated.

Regards,
Tom Conley