On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 6:37 PM, Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

> John,
>
> Would this code account for a V01 - V99 ending in the GDG?
> And would it handle the fact that the next GDG might not be a G9999Vxx but
> maybe a G0001Vxx?  Remember GDG numbers at the back can wrap a little
> differently.  A -1 might not be what you think it might be.
>
> I think, there is some ambiguity regarding the correct chronological order
> in the GxxxxVxx numbers over 9000.
>
> Lizette

​Very good points. I don't know how catsearch works internally, so I don't
know how the output is ordered. My code assumes that the entries are
ordered correctly in that the "newest" is at the bottom (last emitted), the
"oldest" is at the top (first emitted), and each generation is "in the
proper order". The egrep stage could be changed to accept other than V00 at
the end by doing:​

egrep '^HLG\.GDG\.G[0-9]{4}V[0-9]{2}$'

​I didn't think of that because in 35 years, I have _never_ seen anything
other than V00 at the end.​

--
The unfacts, did we have them, are too imprecisely few to warrant our
certitude.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown