My customer wants to start the migration to Enterprise COBOL V5.2. I know
V6.1 is out but we need to get going on this project. I have deleted all
COBOL compilers below Enterprise COBOL V4.2 from their systems. I worked
with an applications representative and they have decided on the compiler
options they want. Load library conversion to PDSE is complete. Analysis
of load libraries looking for OS/VS COBOL and determining which of those
load modules are still in use has been determined and they will be
recompiled either with Enterprise COBOL V4.2 or V5.2. I know there are
some others things to look at but these are done.

If there is a COBOL specific web site for these types of questions that
would be a better place for these questions please let me know.

Some users have been playing with the new compiler and comparing it with
Enterprise COBOL V4.2. They have picked a few current programs and
compiled, linked and run them. One load module was 3-4 times as big when
compiled with OPT(2). With OPT(0) it was  %50 larger. Is this a typical
increase in size for V5.2 compiles?

Has anyone noticed a difference in CPU execution time either way?

A size increase would not be a big problem but a large increase in CPU
time would be.

Thank You,

Paul Strauss

IBM Global Services
z/OS MVS and Program Products
Department F2VE
150 Kettletown Rd.
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 272-2758
strau...@us.ibm.com

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments may contain confidential
information intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not read,
copy, distribute or otherwise use this message or its attachments. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender by email and
delete all copies of the message immediately.