I am not clear on your configuration.

So, could you tell us
1) What hardware vendor and hardware type you will be using?  For example IBM
TS7740?
2) How many tape drives do you currently have defined?
3) How many tape drives do you need for now and future growth?
4) Will you be replicating or similar process the Tape files?
5) Do you want to use SMS Managed tape or remain as non SMS managed tape?
    a)  Do you currently have SMS set up in your environment for DISK?
6) Have you worked with your hardware vendor to determine how they suggest to
set up the MTL?

Any other details will be helpful.

Lizette