From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2016 10:30 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: CCSID

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:08:34 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>z/OS Unicode Services, on which I think all of these CCSID translation
>implementations are based, fully supports UTF-8 (assuming that's what you mean
>by Unicode). I use it all the time. Specify CCSID 1028 as the "ASCII" code
>page.

A fair assumption except for those bred in the zSeries tradition, to whom
Unicode is likely to mean UCS-2; big-endian; no futher questions.  I believe
there's even hardware support for this.  Don't know about little-endian,
pervasive in the outside world.  Doubtful about UTF-8 which would require far
more complex microcode.  So while the WorldWide Web has largely migrated to
UTF-8, zSeries remains at UCS-2.