On Jul 8, 2016, at 7:33 AM, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I still maintain that my preference is for a textual "source" format such
> as LaTeX being the official format. With IBM rendering that into PDF, mobi,
> epub, and HTML5 as part of its distribution process. I like PDF. I really
> do. But the original design objective for PDF, as mentioned previously, is
> "print fidelity". That is, it __looks__ the same. In my world, content (not
> appearance) is king. LaTeX is basically a textual "mark up" language, like
> DCF (SGML). So I can store it on z/OS and actually read it (and
> cut'n'paste) in an ISPF session. Am I being too "reactionary" in wanting to
> have my documentation on the same system as it is documenting? I.e. z/OS
> documentation on z/OS needing only access to z/OS without any other
> "specialized" software on a "desktop"? I also like having said
> documentation in a z/OS UNIX file because: (1) the file names can be more
> descriptive due to being longer; (2) I'm used to searching for text using
> "egrep" and regular expressions. Seems like a person will either "love"
> (me) regexps or "passionately hate" them.

An ePUB document is just a zip archive containing HTML documents, supporting
files like CSS, fonts, and images, and some metadata files. You can unzip it
and then view the contents in a regular web browser, or even a text editor.
“egrep” should work over the unzipped contents.

--
Pew, Curtis G
curtis....@austin.utexas.edu