Well, a great friend of mine has managed to reproduce the issue and has passed
the details on to me. Typical.

Steps to recreate:

Create a JCL stream to execute the compile-and-go PROC, using the original
source as input to the compiler.
Type SUBMIT at a point where it will be recognised as a SUBMIT command (this
may vary if using RDz, I don't know).

Pre-requisite: Using COBOL V5.2.0 (V6.1 yet to be verified).

SYSOUT for the GO step:

TO END PROGRAM, ENTER 0.

TO CALCULATE SALES TAX, ENTER THE SALES AMOUNT.

IGZ0017S The open of DISPLAY or ACCEPT file with environment name SYSIN was
unsuccessful.
CEE3201S The system detected an operation exception (System Completion
Code=0C1).
         From compile unit CALC1000 at entry point CALC1000 at compile unit
offset +000002E4 at entry offset +000002E4
          at address 237002E4.

For V5.2.0,IGZXACP is the entryname for the ACCEPT processing.

From the APAR previously mentioned,
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1PI39312, it seems that V5 (at
least) still uses IGZEINP.

I don't know that all setups running V5.2 have this failure, but I suspect so.