On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 19:53:44 +0000, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to use system symbols in batch JCL under z/OS 2.1.
> Specifically, I'd like to create a DSN like this:
> >
> Doesn't work for me, either:
>
>  6 //FOO   DD    DISP=SHR,DSN=&SYSUID..&LYYMMDD..&LHHMMSS
>    IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DISP=SHR,DSN=gil.&LYYMMDD..&LHHMMSS
>  7 //
>
> >I read that system symbols must be enabled by class, which I did for
> class A: $HASP837 JOBCLASS(A)         SYSSYM=ALLOW
> >
> >But it looks like my job is failing at conversion and never getting to
> execution. Shouldn't this be easy? ;-)
> >
> How can I query that setting?  If simply &SYSSYM were itself a symbol
> I could use it would be too easy; IBM would never do it that way.

​It is dependent on the setting for the __JOB CLASS__ in which the job was
submitted. In the original, that is JOB CLASS=A. To see if it is enabled
(by default it is _not_), enter the z/OS operator command:

$DJOBDEF(A)

And then look for SYSSYM in the SYSLOG output.​

> -- gil

"Worry was nothing more than paying interest on a loan that a man may never
borrow"

From: "Quest for the White Wind" by Alan Black

Maranatha! <><
John McKown