On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 22:32:39 -0700, Ed Jaffe wrote:

>On 7/21/2016 10:05 PM, Ed Jaffe wrote:
>> I gotta ask, how on earth have you guys survived all these years
>> without  system symbols support enabled in JES?
>
>Never mind. I answered my own question.
>
>It's been only three years since this support became generally available
>in JES2.

Prior to that, was it only for JES3?  What's the default setting?

Mainframe security has long been based on "Need to Know".
Our admin is fairly compliant: "Yes" is often a sufficient answer
to "Need to know?"

And we like to test our products in a most restrictive system
comfiguration.  Testing requirements increas exponentially
with the number of configurable system options.

And remember how few years ago a FAQ in these fora was, "How
can we prevent our programmers' using OS/390 UNIX System
Services if they can't attest to a need?"

Still, I'm glad that there is no RACF class to (DIS)ALLOW use of
(the similar) UNIX environment variables -- generally I share
your perplexity.

>Prior to that, it was available to started tasks only.

-- gil