On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:57:45PM -0400, zMan wrote:
> Tomasz,
>
> I understand. But the MUAs mostly link by Subject: line;

Uhum, I am not sure what you mean. But if I read you right this
time[0], I was "always" sure the proper way to link one message to
another is by utilising information from other header fields - maybe
using "Subject" as a last resort. Fields like "List-Id", "List-Owner",
sometimes "Reply-To", and last but not least, "In-Reply-To".

> I'm suggesting that GMail could do the same, at least for notes
> classified as "Forums".  "We have the technology"...

[0] Yeah. It seems I misunderstood your original post, where I took
your use of word "threading" as synonym for my problem. And now I
understand you want to sort incoming emails into different, say,
folders, using some kind of, say, filters? This kind of tricks were
easy when I sorted my mails with procmail (classified each email based
on their headers, leaving out spam). Ok, maybe not that easy but
doable. I do not know if this method could be ported to G-mail
filters, after quick glance on their help.

Sorting with procmail worked fine, until one day spam started to come
from mailing lists themselves. After that, having messages in many
different folders lost lot of its charm, so I do not sort nowadays.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **