On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 11:53:10 -0400, Charles Mills wrote:

>> And what about dumps?
>
>Operating systems have magic tricks up their sleeves.
>
>> One motivation was to protect intellectual property
>
>Risking topic drift there but a major motivation is security. ...
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_space_protection

Certain topic drift as I ponder a feature that exists only on
processors other than z.

But if IP protection is a concern. the system and policies must
take care that unauthorized eyes can't view a dump of proprietary
code.

Still, I'd be surprised if no hacker has ever dumped the ROM
of an iPhone.

-- gil